Buy Mild steel sheet at Trade Prices, Full sheets, Part sheets, Cutting Service, CNC Shapes, Spinning & Fabrication. Email now to firstname.lastname@example.org or Contact Us for more information or a quotation.
See below our stock list of mild steel sheet. Hot rolled HR4 and cold rolled CR4
|Stock||Finish||Thickness mm||Sheet Size mm|
|Mild Steel||Bright Cold Rolled (CR)||1.0, 2.0, 3.0||2000 x 1000|
|Mild Steel||Black Hot Rolled (HR)||1.5, 2.0, 3.0||2000 x 1000, 2500 x 1250|
|Corten Steel||Bright Mill Finish||1||2500 x 1250|
Metal Sheets Ltd are suppliers of popular sizes and thicknesses of Mild Steel Sheet. We cut any size you require up to the full sheet size. We also fabricate table tops and features
Hot Rolled Sheet & Flat Bar Finishes (samples available free to designers and trade)
Our Service for Mild Steel Sheet
- Supplier of Full Sheets, Part Sheets, Cut to Size and CNC Shape Cutting
- Fabrication, Cutting, Bending, Welding, Spinning
Our Product Range, all bespoke, fabricated by our craftsmen
- Hot Rolled Steel Table Tops, Fabricated or Spun
- Timber Table Top Edge Banding (uses thicker metal)
- Timber Table Top Edge Trimming (uses thinner metal)
Most of the mild steel we use ourselves is either hot rolled sheet, (HR4), and hot rolled flat bar. Hot rolled steel can be extremely variable in appearance, we select the metal that has the best appearance to get a balance of colours in the sheets as this keeps the appearance more interesting.
We do a lot of work subcontract applying edges to timber table tops, we do Edge Banding with thicker sections of Black Mild Steel, maybe 5mm thick and we do Edge Trimming with thinner metal, maybe 1.5mm.
General Information on Mild Steel
Mild steel sheet is used extensively in the manufacture of motor vehicles, white goods, construction products and general metal fabrication. It is an economical material but it does normally require a protective and decorative finish to add appeal and prevent corrosion. Mild steel sheet can be finished by many methods. Corten is also a mild steel.
- Painted, there are hundreds of specifications covering this process and materials. There are two main systems which are liquid and powder coating.
- Plastic coated with nylon, polythene and pvc for example.
- Galvanised, this process involves alloying the top surfaces of the steel sheet with molten zinc.
- Electroplated with chrome, nickel, cadmium and tin for example.
Joining methods for mild steel sheet are typically mechanical using fixings or welding by methods including spot welding, arc welding, MIG welding, silver soldering.
Grades of Mild Steel
Generally manufactured in two grades, cold rolled, (CR) and hot rolled (HR).
- Hot rolled is the initial product produced by the steel mill, (Tata are the biggest in Europe), as a downstream process prior to further processing such as cold rolling.
- Hot rolled has a mill scale which is usually black in colour. Hence the common name Black Mild Steel.
- Black mild steel sheet is commonly used in fabrication shops, it is more economical than cold rolled sheet.
- Black sheet will usually require more preparation work prior to any finishing system being applied.
- Hot rolled sheet is designated by the prefix “HR”
- Cold Rolled Steel Strip is produced, as the term suggests by the further rolling of strip produced by the hot strip mills.
- Prior to cold rolling, the mill scale has to be removed, normally by the Pickling Process which uses mechanical manipulation (around small diameter rolls) and acid to dissolve the surface scale. The surface is then washed to remove the acid and a light oil added to prevent rusting.
Cold rolling is done to:
- Reduce the thickness
- Improve the surface finish
- Improve the thickness tolerances
- To offer a range of “tempers”
- As a preparation for surface coating
Cold Rolled Sheet has a bright finish and is designated by the prefix “CR”